Deborah Weir, PhD
National Certified Counselor
North Carolina Licensed Professional Counselor
Florida Licensed Mental Health Counselor
Board Certified Hypnotherapist
Board Certified Sex Therapist
Distance Credentialed Counselor
Deb Weir is a compassionate and knowledgeable counselor for individuals and couples. She has over 20 years experience in helping calm down the stress and anxiety that follows relationship and other life issues. She is a licensed mental health counselor in both FL and NC. She has three major specialty certifications:
- Certified sex therapist, trained to work with sexual issues of heterosexual, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals
- Certified hypnotherapist, trained in the art of relaxation, NLP, and eyes-closed trance states to deepen the counseling experience
- Certified distance counselor, trained to ethically use phone, email, and video chat for counseling.
- Crisis Management: Emergency sessions designed to create a supportive plan that will help individual cope with intensely disturbing situations.
- Depression Management: Relief from malaise, concentration problems, negative outlook, low motivation, helplessness, sadness, and other symptoms of depression.
- Anxiety &Trauma Management: Relief from trauma, panic, phobias, obsessions, stress, and other situations causing hard-to-control anxiety.
- General Women’s Issues: Self-esteem, finding outlets and friends for connection, career issues, feminine/masculine balance, mother/daughter issues, parenting, spirituality, health/hormonal problems, etc.
- Weight Control: Strategies in the areas of motivation, fitness, nutrition, and self-regard that can result in a healthier body and self-image.
- Body Image Enhancement: Relief from self-loathing and relationship issues resulting from a negative regard for your body.
- Relationship Therapy: Couples therapy including communication training, issues resolution, and sex therapy. Individual therapy, including relationship search, starting over after a painful relationship loss, and coaching for a problem relationship. LGBTQ situations welcomed.
- Women’s Sex Therapy: Education and therapy for women’s sex issues, such as low libido, sex aversion, orgasm dysfunction, painful intercourse, and hormonal changes.
- Gender Identity Therapy: Assessment, exploration, emotional preparation, coaching, advocacy, and education for individuals with gender identity questioning or change plans.
- Grief Management: Supportive and expressive therapy for dealing with a significant loss.
- Substance Abuse Counseling: Strategies to uncover the underlying reasons for escaping through the use of substances and developing ways to change habits.
- Smoking Cessation: Strategies to finally stop the nasty habit that isn’t cool anymore.
- Creativity Enhancement: Strategies to tap into deep resources for creative projects and relief from creative blocks.
Used in various combinations, depending on the problem and desires of each client.
- Insight-oriented therapy: Exploration of earlier and/or recent troubling events and the feeling and meaning attached to them to help increase peace and understanding.
- Hypnotherapy: Eyes-open techniques, neuro-linquistic programming (NLP), formal trance, self-hypnosis/meditation instruction, and individualized recorded audiotapes to help elevate personal consciousness and gain relief of troubling perceptions.
- Dream and Synchronicity Interpretation: Deciphering symbolic messages from the unconscious contained in nighttime dreaming and daytime synchronicity for insight and guidance in personal issues.
- Cognitive-Behavioral Approach: Direct focus on changing thoughts, beliefs, and actions that are contributing to depression, anxiety, and poor coping.
- Values Clarification: The identification of “what’s important” as an impetus for change and motivation.
- Personal Coaching: Goal-setting and action planning for lifestyle changes, career enhancement, and balance.
- Psycho-education: Use of educational handouts, videos, and verbal instruction for various mental health issues.
- Communication Training: Instruction and practice of intimate communication strategies that will serve to enhance the loving aspect of relationships while creating safety and intimacy.
- Expressive Therapy: Use of creative media such as artwork, writing, active imagination, and such to enhance insight and personal growth.
- Individual Nature Connection: Exercises carried out in nature to utilize the natural healing power of the wilderness environment.
- Group Therapy: Held periodically with various themes, such as body image support, self-esteem, relationship support, and general issues.
- Community Resources: Assistance in locating support groups, alternative therapies, specialists, in-patient treatment facilities, etc.
- North Carolina Licensed Professional Counselor, #7547
- Florida Licensed Mental Health Counselor #MH 4055
- Board Certified Diplomate: American Board of Sexology
- Board Certified Diplomate: National Board for Certified Clinical Hypnotherapists
- Board Certified: National Board for Certified Counselors
- Board Certified Distance Counselor: Center for Credentialing and Education, Inc. #DCC 00258
- Certified Mars & Venus Relationship Counselor 1997-2003
Deb is a talented group leader and speaker, and would enjoy presenting to your group. Deb’s fees are affordable, and a sliding scale based on the client’s income is available. Contact Deb directly if you have any questions about her practice.